Monday, September 20, 2010

The Countdown

When I decided to go to Kenya the people around me were surprised... to say the least and even now, a short 9 days before I leave some people are still asking me why??? Well this is my best answer.

I want to be able to wake up in the morning and say to my self, today is going to be a good day because I am going to do great things today, and I want to mean it.  I have read the statistics concerning the large amount of children who have been orphaned due to AIDs and have read the stories of the children who are lucky enough to have found a home at the Springs of Hope Orphanage.  These touching stories left me with a mixture of feelings including thoughts of sadness for the events that these children had endured and grateful to have been born into such a great family.  I know in my heart that I can help to encourage these children and I cannot wait to see them smile.  I am happy to be an active participant in the world and I am excited to work with the youth in Kenya to empower them to follow their dreams (like I have mine).  I have all the tools I need to lead an amazing and fulfilling life because of the people who have helped me along the way.  I would like to pass this gift along to the children I will be working with in Kenya.  It only takes one positive role model or even one act of kindness to change a life and each person has the potential to do that.  Children are our future and I hope that by enhancing worldwide collaboration we can give future generations the opportunity to live in a more peaceful world.

"Potential is the worst thing you can die with"- Dr. Henry Cloud

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I am looking forward to following your journey via this blog. You will be in my prayers daily (when I brush my teeth). =0) XO Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that I miss you already? I just saw you yesterday (twice) and talked to you about 2 hours ago. This may quite possibly be the longest 5 weeks ever.

    Do great things my sissy. I know you will!

    xoxo M (and B and little B)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my inspiration. You are my everything. I am so proud of you. I always knew you would change the world, I really did. The moment you told me what you wanted to do I knew it was the right thing. I love you so much. -Liza

    ReplyDelete