Yesterday I spent the day with 42 infants and toddlers. This was more of an institutional type place which differs from Springs of Hope's home style orphanage. The kids were so good that when they would cry you could simply look at them with a smile to make them stop crying. It was interesting to see that by simply looking at them you can give them a sufficient amount of attention for their need. I realized yesterday that I can keep three babies happy at a time but, no more than three at a time. I could put one in the rocking bed thing have one on my lap and have the other sit next to me. This method done on rotations worked well for the majority of the morning. the real problems arise when you pick one of the munchkins up because the others get jealous and the one you are holding will hold on so tightly that you can't put them down. I had a great time with these little kids but it was hard for me to leave and go to the school.
We spent the rest of the day delivering uniforms at the Nakuru Workers School and the kids were so appreciative to receive these new uniforms that some of them were jumping with joy. The uniforms were donated by Molly and Joe's friend Tony and his daughter Laurel. But, I was happy to help give them out to the students. Everything done in Kenya is done as a big production. The teacher held an Assembly and each teacher gave a speech then, asked us to speak to all of the kids. After about an hour of speeches..... they asked the three most needy children to come forward and stand in front of the student body so that Molly and I could put their new uniforms over the tattered uniforms that they were wearing presently. It was a very interesting and loving experience to see how thankful these children were. Grace, was one of the three most needy students that received a new uniform and she was so happy that she was crying. After we gave out all of the uniforms the entire student body did this dance thing to thank us where they pretend to spray us with beautiful smelling perfumes. It's like a blessing where they do this swoosh sound with hand motions as a symbolic movement to give us thanks. It's kind of one of those things where you have to be there to understand but, it was really touching.
No comments:
Post a Comment