Friday, October 29, 2010

Dance and Sing and be Smile


These are two more of the children who live at Springs of Hope Kenya.... the top photo is of Cecelia and the bottom photo is of our newest family member Jane. One of my first nights at Springs of Hope Cecelia told me a story.... well, she wasn't actually looking at me telling this story... she was looking off into the distance but, I was the only one around so she was kind of talking to me.
Cecelia does not speak much English but she speaks very cute broken English and on this night she told me, "Jane is part of our family now, she is just like the rest of we... us all used to just sit and wait for mom and food before but since she moved home she have eats and can have real sleep and will have more food with the sun. Here she can dance and sing and be smile..... I am glad Jane is my family here."
This might be confusing at first but, I understood it immediately (and wrote it in my diary so I would never forget)..... Cecelia wanted to talk about her family and how she feels now that she lives at Springs of Hope. I am not even sure that she was meaning to say this to me specifically but, I felt very blessed to be the one around to hear her story.
Cecelia comes from a place called "Black Base" because its so dirty and many street people there sell coal. Her mother sold glue to street boys (the drug of choice for most street boys here)... so she knows all of the street boys by name and she spent most of her life begging for food from strangers. When Molly came to pick up Cecelia from her mother (who didn't want her).... Cecelia shook her mothers hand and never even looked back. Cecelia is not an orphan but she was at risk of being molested and was completely neglected.
Jane came to Springs of Hope during the first week of my arrival. She was found begging in Ronda by Ben who leads the AIDS support group in that slum. Her mother is a prostitute and wanted nothing to do with her. she left her for many days before coming home.... only to leave Jane at her grandmothers place. Jane's grandmother is very poor and had no funds to support Jane so when Ben introduced her to Molly the grandmother basically pushed Jane out the door. Jane was so ready to leave that she said to Ben, "I have no mother," then she shook her grandmothers hand and walked away.
Both of these girls are very special to me and neither of them have sponsors. I hope to find them sponsors before Christmas or at the very least collect some donations to send as Christmas gifts for them. They are both so sweet and I can't understand how a mother could just leave her child..... But, they are in a better place now and as Cecelia said......Now they can be smile!

Job 29:12 "Because I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist him."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what amazing girls. I would LOVE to help raise money for these girls for Christmas. Let me know what I can do. I love you. You are Amazing! -Liza

    ReplyDelete