Monday, October 25, 2010

I LOVE these Kids!


I would like to introduce all of you to a few of the kids at the Springs of Hope Orphanage in Kenya. The kids in the photo on the bottom are Glen (Top Left), Rahab (Top Right), Joyce (Bottom Left), Abbey (Bottom Center) and Noah (Bottom Right). Four of these five children are HIV positive and none of these adorable little loves have sponsors (Noah is the only child who is negative of the five in the photo).  Let me give you a little background on each of the children who are in this second photo.
Glen is five years old and was given to SOHK from the children's department because, he was being severely beaten and malnourished. Glen was beaten so badly that his head literally had craters in it and he has the mental capacity of about a two year old. He was so  malnourished that he could barely walk and he would eat every meal until he would actually vomit. But, now he is super happy and always wants to be held like one of the little babies. He also hugs the little baby dolls and rock them with such care and it's one of the most precious things I have ever seen.
Rahab is a total orphan whose mother was a prostitute and died of AIDS last year. When she first arrived at SOHK she was a wallflower who kept to herself and did not interact much with the other children or show much emotion. I never would have guessed that she was ever anything other than a superstar like she is now. She is a five year old who has the presence of a celebrity and a smile that completely lights up a room.
Joyce is a two year old was brought to the children's department by a "good somaritan" because she was abandoned. When she arrived at SOHK she was malnourished and HIV positive. She has always sucked her thumb as a way of comforting herself and she loves to show you her tummy when its full. She is as cute as a button and loves to be held.
Abby is two years old and is a total orphan. She is from a tribe that eats a diet of strictly milk and cows blood. She is HIV positive and has recently been found to be anemic. When she first arrived at SOHK she was silent and always carried a blank expression on her face. Now she is a social butterfly who loves to be held and treated like the baby of the family. She is so cute, she always covers her eyes when she prays and before meals she always thanks god for the porridge no matter what she is about to eat. She has been one of my best Swahili teachers because she repeats the same words over and over to me.
Noah is about three years old and was first brought to SOHK as "baby no-name". He was abandoned and there has been basically no way of finding any information about his past. He is a very sweet little guy who loves to play with toy cars and run around with the older boys.
All of the kids at the Springs of Hope Kenya have been changed for the better and its not just their lives that have been dramatically improved but also that lives of the future children of these children that have been bettered. If you really think about it..... by raising these children with love, compassion and understanding..... you are not only giving them a chance to grow in a healthy environment but you are also laying the ground work for the type of adults that these children will grow up to be. In Kenya it is currently socially acceptable to beat your wife, children and even students. So when you set a positive example for these children who come from such harsh backgrounds you are actually changing the circumstances for future generations.
If you have it in your heart to sponsor one of these children I can assure you that 100% of the money will go directly to these kids. There are five children currently at SOHK who are HIV positive and only one of them has a sponsor. The children who are positive really need sponsors to help them to receive proper medical care. I would ask you to please checkout the website and learn a little more about the children I did not have a chance to write about today. I am aware of the state of our current economy but, if you don't have the resources to be a sponsor... you could try to participate in the monthly $10 challenge or even a small one time donation will help! I know many people would like to give but, are not sure what organizations are actually helping the children directly (and I have learned about them during this trip) but, I can assure you that Springs Of Hope Kenya is completely about the children. Here is a link to the website!!
www.springsofhopekenya.org

Isaiah 49:15- "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!"

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to have to learn more about becoming a sponsor!!! -Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Liza I love you and that is so sweet of you! I was thinking maybe our family members could all pitch in like $1 per month lol bc it will add up lol
    -Love Megan

    ReplyDelete