Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sadly Susan

I would like to share the story of a woman named Susan. I first met her in town when Molly and I were walking to the grocery store with a few street boys to buy them food. I did not notice the quiet lady leaning on the post who wasn't yelling MOM at Molly. But, Molly has helped Susan in the past so, Molly was quick to shake her hand and ask her how she was doing..... the tears rushed to Susan's eyes and she couldn't slow them enough to speak. Turns out that her 5 year old son Moses was in the hospital with malaria and it turns out he is HIV positive. On top of that she has no money to pay for the medicine or food to feed him. At that point Molly and I continued to the store to buy some food not only for the street boys but, also for Susan.
That event occurred about a week ago and today we visited her home to see what we can do to help. The background story on Susan was quick to unravel while at her home. Susan got married when she was 16 years old and immediately became pregnant.... three months into her pregnancy her husband died of malaria and she says, he was in perfect health. Then she moved back in with her parents only to watch their possessions be stolen and their home be burned to the ground during the clashes by the same man who had originally sold them that plot of land.   So, the clashes drove them to the one room hut they live in today, they have no furniture just two twin mattresses that lay on the cold cement.
January was a rough month for Susan's health... she had a stroke and after being admitted to the hospital was also diagnosed with TB that's when she found out she was HIV positive. Before being discharged from the hospital the doctors also found a tumor behind her right eye. Due to the stroke she has paralysis on the left side of her body and can no longer see out of her right eye because the tumor is putting pressure on the optic nerve. She also told us that the 15 mile walk to town has become rather painful because her left ankle is inflamed at the joint and both of her legs end up swollen after the walk. Joe asked her what her CD4 count was and she said, "26"...... when I heard that number my heart dropped and I came the closest to breaking into tears that I have since I have been here.... Let me explain, a CD4 count of 200 is really low and indicates that you have full-blown AIDS and any CD4 count below 20 means your on the verge of death.
Susan lives with her mother who is 54 years old (looks about 90) and her brother who is 14 along with her son Moses who is 5. Her mother is the sole supporter and she makes a living by digging holes and doing other manual labor jobs where she makes about 40 shillings per day (about 50 cents in the U.S.) So, Susan goes to town to beg so that they can pay their rent and afford food..... just to give you an idea their rent is about $4 American dollars per month.
When Molly and Joe asked what they can do to help... the mother didn't say give us money or buy us food... she said, "I would like to open a fruit stand to support us and Susan would be able to help." That was a great answer in my opinion.... finding a way to support your self without depending on others for a long period of time.
Susan's story is a sad one but, I find it so impressive that she wants to find a way to get through it all with  simply, the help of her family. She has so much faith in God even in her lack of health and rough life..... She is really one of those people who make you wonder... God why?? Why must she suffer??????

2 comments:

  1. It is so not fair how these people have to live... I wonder what God would say if you could ask him why...-Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, thank you for keeping us updated with these amazing posts. The story of Susan sounds like it's a common thing happening there. You are sharing inspiring stories that are not falling on deaf ears. We miss you here but know you are doing such good work there. I'm glad you've found your calling. This is what you were made to do. See you soon. Stay safe and healthy. Take more pictures and tell us all about them when you're back. We miss you and love you.

    Lindsey and your small group :O)

    ReplyDelete